30 June 2006

Superman Reflections (Spoilers and all)

Having just returned from one of the great, All-American summer blockbusters, I'm left asking myself a couple questions. Before I proceed, it's worth saying that I truly enjoyed the film. Very entertaining, very impressive, great characters--overall, well-done. But my first question is, Nobody wondered about how the age of little Jason matched with Superman's length of absence? If Superman was gone for 5 years, Lois must've moved on to Richard really quick to have a 5-year old son that they both thought he fathered. This is difficult because that would mean that Richard was the rebound boyfriend that she's afraid to commit to--but they slept together on their first date (or very soon thereafter). Okay, so that's not surprising. Beyond that, Richard must've had some serious feelings of inadequacy realizing that he's the rebound from, of all people, Superman. Hard to compare.

My second question is, How does Superman decide who to help? I'm sure this is an age-old question (and I always think of Superman when I go to Niagra Falls), but there's no presentation of Superman's value system in this movie like there was in the previous ones. Does he go to who's closest? Does he go to who sounds most desperate or most in need? But that can't be because a woman who's brakes have gone out can't possibly be the most endangered of the entire human race at any given moment. So, being the limited savior he is, how does he decide who to help? What would be an appropriate value system for someone like Superman to have? Or is it just intuition--listen, listen, listen, choose! Kind of like duck, duck, goose. Then go! as fast as you (rather, he) can.

Hard to say.

No comments: