08 July 2006

Worthy Sacrifice

Still thinking about the distinction between Cain and Abel, I'm struck by how a worthy sacrifice is a trusting sacrifice. Cain would've had the same amount of fruit and grain leftover if he had brought the first to show up rather than just 'some' from his overall harvest. Ten apples and a pound of grain is ten apples and a pound of grain. But the amount isn't what concerns God. It's the statement we make about him in our sacrifice that matters to him. The statement of Cain's sacrifice was 'You'll get what you want, and I'll make sure I have what I need.' That's often the statement my sacrifices make. But the statement of Abel's sacrifice was 'I want to give you what I need.' He valued God's pleasure over his own security. There was no guarantee that he'd get any more fat calves that season with which to feed himself and his family, but still he gave God the first calves in all their fattiness and substance. This pleased God. But God's open disfavor of Cain's sacrifice made Cain angry. After all, wasn't Cain giving what he was told to give? He had given up the same amount as Abel had, and yet God was upset? But God didn't leave Cain to stew in his anger.

Confronting Cain, God said, Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it (Gen. 4:6-7). Though he tried to ignore it, Cain knew what he had done wrong. A sacrifice isn't a sacrifice if it's coming from a place of material security. He was called to give the firstfruits and he had given the last. But even when confronted graciously by God, he opened the door to sin. Not even dignifying God with a response, he goes to his brother Abel with a plan. The Lord had told Cain that his sin must be mastered, but instead Cain let himself be mastered by his sin. What started as a selfish gift turned into a conniving, murderous, pre-meditated slaughter. The land that heretofore had provided Cain with his fruit and grain now drank up his brother's blood. Cain's unworthy sacrifice was now manifesting itself in his selfish attitude towards Abel, as though killing his brother would justify him. Then God wouldn't have anyone to compare him to any more. Abel couldn't outdo him any more if he were dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While you often think that your posts don't really make much of a difference, or that you aren't saying all that much, you're quite wrong. I love reading your posts and generally listening to your thoughts. I'm so glad to have you in my life to prompt and prod me to think on these things. I hope that you continue to post even though your time in the class is over and your *required* posts are finished. I miss reading your words as often as I used to and this is such a great way for me to enjoy your wordly arts. :) I love you, dear. Truly.